Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Bridge and Story Spine

On a cloudy day last week I got a photo or two on a bike ride into Mackinaw city, which mysteriously loaded today. (The others didn't; and these haven't until now. What motivates a blog's inner workings?) The important thing about Mackinaw City is of course the Mackinaw Bridge, linking Michigan’s Lower and Upper Peninsulas. This photo looks east at the bridge; I’m standing, with my bike, in Lake Michigan, and on the other side the water mysteriously becomes Lake Huron.



I find it remarkable, after traveling in places like Copenhagen and Istanbul, and living in Seattle, to come back here to where I spent my childhood and see how comparatively UNdeveloped this place is, given that it shares with those other locations an incredibly strategic spot on major waterways. On the other hand, the straits here literally freeze over every winter, so that you can drive a car out onto the ice (maybe they don’t really need the bridge, that time of year!), which I don’t think happens in those places. But even more, the issue is the historical period of development; Istanbul developed way, way, way back when, Copenhagen a little more recently, but still it was the age of sail. The best possible way anybody could get anything anyplace, in those days, was by boat. In Mackinaw, the history is quite different; the settlement here started in the mid-1700s, with the Jesuit Father Marquette (and his sidekick Joliet) stopping up here, founding the little town of St. Ignace on the other side of the bridge, and blessing Fort Michilimackinac (nowadays a tourist trap), which played a role in the French and Indian War. But by the time there were enough people living up in this part of the world for the straits to become strategically important, cars had taken the place of trains, and sailing was a rich man’s hobby. In the 1950s, as superhighways were taking over America, the Mackinaw Bridge was built. This shot now from the Lake Huron side, looking west (and a little north) at the bridge and Lake Michigan behind it.



I grew up with the bridge and never considered it anything particularly special, even each year when we biked across it to celebrate Labor Day. My father, who used to work on the car ferries that once connected the peninsulas, always hated the bridge. It may be that that's why he built our cottage a long ways outside of Mackinaw City, on idyllic, remote Trailsend Bay. We're close enough that you can bike into town to get an incredibly delicious fresh trout or whitefish to grill; but quiet enough that you can really bear down and get some work done, too. That's progressing well, I'm happy to say; Herr Wagner's bio is gradually yielding its secrets. In terms of my screenplay, it's become clear to me what the protagonist's chief desire is: he wants to be a god. What's scary about this story is that in a sense, he got what he wanted.

1 Comments:

At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EFFECTIVE AND MOST POWERFUL 24 HOURS LOVE SPELL CASTER 2020


I feel very happy to share my great and wonderful testimony with everyone on this platform..: I was married for 7 years to my husband and all of a sudden another woman came into the picture he started hating me and he was abusive and all because i never bear him a child. but i still loved him with all my heart and wanted him at all cost.... He filed for divorce and my whole life was turning apart and i didn't know what to do, he moved out of the house and abandoned me all alone,one day a very close friend of mine told me about trying spiritual means to get my husband back,so i went online to search and i came across so many spell caster who only wasted my time and took a lot of money from me,but i went back to her and told her that spiritual way has only taking my money and not yielding anything, and she introduced me to a spell caster, Dr gbojie, so i decided to try it. although i didn't believe in all those things because of what i have gone through lately, i contacted Dr gbojie and he explain all my problems to him and he told me that i shouldn't worry that when he cast the spell on me and my husband that my husband is going to run back to me and that within 2 weeks am going to get pregnant,so i did the little he ask me to do and behold it all work out,my husband run back to me and right now we have Twins Girl and a boy,so all thanks to Dr gbojie you're indeed a great spell caster, in case anyone needs help here, whatsapp him now +2349066410185 or email him : gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com
Website : http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home