Saturday, July 01, 2006

Not just Richard and I anymore



A photo, a few days old, of a Trailsend Bay sunset. Right now (Saturday afternoon) the wind has picked up, it rained but the sun came out, and we're all about to hit the water.

My orgy of Wagner reading/writing/Mime-esque brooding has been interrupted by a first wave of visitors, including my mom, my aunt, and some close family friends. They all arrived last night, just in time to rescue me from Wagner-induced madness, and we had a great jalapeno chicken salad and some aptly named "Oberon Ale" from southern Michigan. Tonight, on the new grill, we're planning to indulge in some mouth-wateringly nice-looking Lake Huron trout.

I've plowed through a small pile of Wagner books, including a careful rereading of his wacky autobiography. The autobiography is entertaining, full of insane adventures and weird characters; but it's also a tissue of lies! He dictated it to his second wife, for the sake of his weird teenage patron, so all of the stories are told from a bizarre self-edited point of view to try to make him look good in their eyes, and half the fun of reading it is to try to triangulate and figure out, story by story, what REALLY happened. (There are various biographies available, and each of them takes a different stance on the big question: Just how despicably horrible a person was he?)

I've also been grudingly watching the Tony Palmer Richard Burton thing again, which is available on dvd; the only thing I'm happy about is that, scene by scene through this entire 9-hour long film, I keep thinking: "Now, why on earth would anyone tell that story THAT way? I'd have done it THIS way!" So I'm confident I'm not talking about a remake. I object to Burton's characterization of Wagner: Burton is arrogant and obnoxious but doesn't have an ounce of charm, which Wagner obviously had and to spare. The film fails to capture what I find most valuable about Wagner, which is that he was a captivating storyteller, an amazing composer, and an artist of the most extreme visionary genius. I object to their use of music, which seems cheap, and to the dialogue track (the ADR is cheap and the use of accents inconsistent). And the writing...well, I'll stop crabbing about that film and try to propose a good one myself!

Below, one step (earlier this week) towards that goal: the carpet here is covered with little index cards, each of which outlines a potential scene for my film (working title MONSTER GOD). I understand completely why Tony Palmer's film was 9 hours; I drafted over a hundred scenes---and that's just about the creation of the RING, skipping much of Wagner's life! So the real creative work will be slimming it down to a story that can fit in one evening. I pitched an outline this morning, to the assembled guests here, and I think it can be done...it can be done. It will be expensive, but not impossible.

3 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, what the heck are you DOING in your little cabin in Michigan?? All Wagner, all the time? Throw in a little Mozart every now and then to cleanse the palate!

Love, Clare

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Jonathan Dean said...

Clare, you sound like someone with Richard Strauss in their ears--those bits of ROSENKAVALIER where that vast Wagner orchestra suddenly does pastiche Mozart.

Actually, one of the guests up here now brought a recording of LAKME, which was indeed a welcome change of pace, and a good reminder of how much I like that silly opera!

 
At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EFFECTIVE AND MOST POWERFUL 24 HOURS LOVE SPELL CASTER 2020


I feel very happy to share my great and wonderful testimony with everyone on this platform..: I was married for 7 years to my husband and all of a sudden another woman came into the picture he started hating me and he was abusive and all because i never bear him a child. but i still loved him with all my heart and wanted him at all cost.... He filed for divorce and my whole life was turning apart and i didn't know what to do, he moved out of the house and abandoned me all alone,one day a very close friend of mine told me about trying spiritual means to get my husband back,so i went online to search and i came across so many spell caster who only wasted my time and took a lot of money from me,but i went back to her and told her that spiritual way has only taking my money and not yielding anything, and she introduced me to a spell caster, Dr gbojie, so i decided to try it. although i didn't believe in all those things because of what i have gone through lately, i contacted Dr gbojie and he explain all my problems to him and he told me that i shouldn't worry that when he cast the spell on me and my husband that my husband is going to run back to me and that within 2 weeks am going to get pregnant,so i did the little he ask me to do and behold it all work out,my husband run back to me and right now we have Twins Girl and a boy,so all thanks to Dr gbojie you're indeed a great spell caster, in case anyone needs help here, whatsapp him now +2349066410185 or email him : gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com
Website : http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home